Friday, May 13, 2016

Neapolitan Checkerboard Cake


So this cake. It's my youngest Hungry Puppy's Birthday Cake!!  I told her that I would make it, then I realized what I had committed to and wondered if I had made a mistake.  Needless to say, I am extremely pleased that it turned out. And relieved.  I had visions of making a super simple last minute night before the party birthday cake.  Thankfully I didn't have to.  This cake maybe looks a little complex, but it was really quite easy.  A couple of notes: If you only want to do two colors, just eliminate the third and alternate dark and light, and make it a two layer cake.  You can use a cake mix (I did cake mixes this time), or use your favorite cake recipes.  You will want a somewhat sturdier cake, as you will be cutting and moving it around, so a softer crumbly cake may fall apart.  For the frosting, again, make your own (I made my own to counter the cake mix!) or use store bought.  Lastly, you will need one cake layer of each color you use, so if you use a cake mix you will have an extra layer for each color that won't be used.  I turned my extra batter into cupcakes (for a separate birthday treat), or you could tightly wrap and freeze the extra cake for another occasion.

Neapolitan Checkerboard Cake

1 9-inch Chocolate cake layer
1 9-inch Strawberry cake layer
1 9-inch Vanilla cake layer
2 cups Chocolate Frosting
2 cups Strawberry Frosting
2 cups Vanilla Frosting

For each cake layer, use a 5.5 inch round cookie cutter (or find a 5.5 inch round template and cut the cake with a knife), and cut out one ring (repeat for all three cakes).  Next, use a 2.5 inch round cookie cutter and cut out a ring inside the 5.5 inch ring (repeat for all three cakes). For each cake layer you should now have 2 rings and a center circle.

For the first layer, place the largest vanilla ring on a cake plate.  Place the second largest chocolate ring inside the vanilla ring.  Place the strawberry circle in the center.  Spread a layer of strawberry frosting on top.  For the second layer, place the largest strawberry ring on top of the first frosted layer. Place the second largest vanilla ring inside the strawberry ring.  Place the chocolate circle in the center.  Spread a layer of strawberry frosting on top.  For the top layer, place the largest chocolate ring on top of the frosting.  Place the second largest strawberry ring inside the chocolate ring.  Place the vanilla circle in the center.  

Frost the top of the cake with vanilla frosting, and frost the sides with the chocolate frosting.  Sprinkle chocolate sprinkles over the top, if desired.  Makes 16 to 20 servings.

Enjoy!  -Cardamommy

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...