Friday, November 13, 2015

Double Apple Spice Bran Muffins


I have to say that I love bran muffins.  Not the dry flavorless cardboard kind that are so prevalent, but the moist and flavorful kind that come out of my kitchen.  I feel that bran muffins get such a bad view, but they don't have to!  These muffins were such a hit at my house, I think they would have all been eaten had I not put a limit on them!  I started with my favorite bran muffin recipe, and just tweaked it a bit.  I substituted applesauce for the butter and honey, and used brown sugar instead of white.  I also added some shredded apples and apple pie spice.  The result?  Deliciously moist and warm spiced apple bran muffins.  These muffins are amazing warm from the oven, or even later cold from the fridge!

Double Apple Spice Bran Muffins

2 cups wheat bran
1 cup oat bran
1 cup boiling water
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons apple pie spice
1 teaspoon salt
2 large apples, shredded

Preheat the oven to 375F.  Lightly spray 24 regular muffin cups with cooking spray.


In a medium bowl, place the wheat and oat bran.  Add the boiling water and stir together.  Let sit for about 5 minutes.  Add the applesauce, brown sugar, eggs, and buttermilk.  Mix well until completely combined.  Add the flour, baking soda, apple pie spice, and salt and stir until just combined. Stir in the shredded apple.

Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups and bake in the preheated oven for about 13 to 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs.  Remove muffins from the oven and cool on a cooling rack.  Makes 24 muffins.

Enjoy!  -Cardamommy

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...