Friday, January 15, 2016

Serious Pecan Double Chocolate Chip Cookies


I know I know, another chocolate chip cookie recipe.  I honestly can't remember how many I have collected and made over the years, but I am driven to keep on testing out new variations.  I think it's an addiction.  Please make it stop!  Just kidding!  Who wants to quit making chocolate chip cookies? Plus, I get bored with the same old thing.  So.  This new cookie.  It is kind of ridiculous.  As in ridiculicious.  I'm kind of embarrassed to admit how many I actually ate.  In one sitting.  Oops.  Quality control people! I found the recipe here, and I changed only a couple of things.  First, I cut the recipe in half, because wow that's some major cookie going on.  Second, I don't like walnuts, and only sometimes tolerate pecans.  So walnuts out, pecans in.  Third, my Hungry Puppies prefer milk chocolate in their cookies, and since I make cookies for them (ahem...wink wink), I used part milk chocolate and part semi sweet chocolate chips.

Serious Pecan Double Chocolate Chip Cookies

For the nuts:
1 Tablespoon butter
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
Pinch of salt
3/4 cup chopped pecans

For the cookies:
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (about 5 ounces) milk chocolate chips
1/3 cup (about 3 ounces) semi sweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 375F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

For the nuts, melt the butter in a small skillet.  Stir in the sugar and salt and cook until golden brown.  Stir in the pecans until evenly coated.  Transfer to the lined baking sheet and bake for 4 to 5 minutes, or until pecans are toasted.  Remove from the oven and set aside.

Melt the 1/2 cup of butter in a small saucepan over medium high heat.  Continue to cook the butter, swirling the pan frequently (or stir with a spoon, whichever you are comfortable with), until the butter is a dark golden brown (be careful that it doesn't burn, as it happens very quickly!).  Remove from heat and place in the refrigerator (I just set the saucepan on top of a hot pad in the fridge) while you start the cookie dough.

Cream together the 1/4 cup butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar.  Beat in the warm browned butter, followed by the eggs and vanilla until well blended.  Add the flour, baking soda, and salt, and beat until just combined.  Stir in the pecans, milk chocolate chips, and semi sweet chocolate chips.

Scoop the dough into 2 tablespoon size balls and place on the prepared baking sheet.  Flatten the dough balls very slightly (just enough to flatten the round top).  Place the cookie sheet in the fridge and let chill for 30 to 60 minutes.  Remove the cookie dough from the fridge and bake in the preheated oven for about 12 minutes, or until they are a light golden brown.  Remove the cookies from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.  Makes about 24 cookies.

Enjoy!  -Cardamommy

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...