Friday, May 29, 2015

No Churn Pineapple Upside Down Cake Ice Cream


I found this recipe the other day and immediately wanted to make it.  Then I changed my mind because I didn't want to deal with roasting the fruit and stuff, but then I changed my mind again because I had a half can of sweetened condensed milk to use up (because I rarely used condensed milk, and what recipe uses half a can?).  So.  Here we are.  My husband was blown away because "Whoa, this totally tastes like pineapple upside down cake!"  Win!  I wrote the recipe as a full recipe, but you can cut it in half like I did if you have a half can of sweetened condensed milk in the fridge.  Original recipe found here.

No Churn Pineapple Upside Down Cake Ice Cream 

1 ½ cups canned pineapple chunks, drained
¾ cup maraschino cherries, drained
1/2 cup coconut
2 Tablespoons packed brown sugar
½ teaspoon cornstarch
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1 cup yellow cake mix
4 cups heavy whipping cream

Preheat the oven to 375F.  Grease an 8x11 inch baking dish. 

Place the pineapple chunks, cherries, coconut, brown sugar, and cornstarch in a bowl and stir until combined.  Pour the fruit mixture into the prepared pan, spreading the fruit evenly in a single layer.  Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring halfway through.  Remove from the oven and use a fork to mash the fruit.  Let cool.


In a medium bowl, stir together the condensed milk and cake mix.  Stir in the mashed fruit.  In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip the whipping cream until stiff peaks form.  Gently fold in the condensed milk mixture. Transfer to a freezer container and freeze.  Makes 12 cups (3 quarts).

Enjoy!   -Cardamommy

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...