Friday, October 3, 2014

Rommegrot


Rommegrot, I'm sure, doesn't sound like anything that you would ever want to make, but let me fill you in.  Rommegrot is a Norwegian pudding made with cream, flour, and milk, and topped with melted butter and cinnamon sugar.  This week, the Norsk Hostfest is in town.  Hostfest is a large Scandinavian festival that brings people from all over the world to experience it.  It is full of authentic Scandinavian food, entertainment, and merchandise.  When I was a kid, sometimes my Mom would make something called cream toast.  Essentially, it was a plain white bechamel over toast.  Some in the family loved it, some hated it (I'm pretty sure my Dad wouldn't like Rommegrot...).  Rommegrot reminds me of the cream without the toast.  Top it with melted butter and cinnamon sugar for the perfect Scandinavian treat!  I got this recipe from one of the vendors at Hostfest, so I had to scale it down quite a bit.  3 quarts of cream is a bit much for my little family of four.

Rommegrot

2 cups cream
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cup scalded milk
Melted Butter
Cinnamon Sugar

In a large saucepan, bring the cream to a boil, whisking constantly.  Boil 3 to 5 minutes.  Slowly mix in the flour, stirring vigorously so it does not get lumpy.  Add the sugar and salt.  Add the hot milk and whisk until smooth. Strain through a strainer to remove any lumps.  Serve hot topped with melted butter and cinnamon sugar.  Makes 4 to 6 servings.

Enjoy!  -Cardamommy

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...